With the advancements in technology, and the persistent urge to explore outside the boundaries, the I, Robot era is now upon us… but hopefully without the killer robots who’re out to obliterate mankind.
UAE is now for foraying into the world of Driverless Cars, as a part of Dubai’s plan to become the smartest city in the world.
Yes, you read that right. Pretty soon, or by the year 2030, we can expect over a quarter of the cars on our roads to be driverless.
HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai tweeted: “We have approved today a new strategy for self-driving transport… By the year 2030, 25 per cent of transport in Dubai will be smart and without drivers.”
The vehicle that was inaugurated and tested by Shaikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai, is a 4×4 metre 10-seater car that was manufactured by the Easy Mile / Omnix Company. It can effortlessly drive through pre-programmed routes, and can nonchalantly withstand the various weather conditions that blesses the UAE all-year-round.
Right now the Driverless Car/Autonomous Car/Robotic Cars/Self-Driving Cars can only travel a short distance, at a maximum speed of 20kmph, and only over interlocked platforms and not concrete. Also, it can only be driven for three hours, after which it requires two hours to charge back up. But it’s a work in progress, and one can expect more advancements in no time at all.
How does it function, you ask?
The vehicle is inbuilt with sensory technology to help it navigate through the roads. It can sense obstacles like other vehicles, cycles, pedestrians, and so on, almost 40 metres away, and will slow down accordingly. And if a vehicle happens to come just two metres close to it, the Driverless Car will immediately stop to avoid crashing into it.
The perks of Driverless Cars are many. Think effortless car journeys, and bidding adieu to road rage.
• Get ahead on your work whilst you commute to office.
• Texting whilst driving is no longer a problem as you’re not the one driving. So you won’t be putting others in danger anymore.
• With the high rate of accidents in the UAE, Driverless cars come as a savior to the residents. The cars can detect obstacles or problems ahead, much earlier than us humans. So safer roads are inevitable.
• You know how frustrating it is in the UAE to find a parking spot. But with a Driverless Car you can eliminate the stress as they can scan and detect an empty lot in no time at all.
• A lot of our time gets wasted stuck in traffic, and that just adds to our frustration, and our already busy lives. We don’t get to spend time with the family, or even relax owing to our packed schedules. But Driverless Cars can help by cutting your travel time in half, which means you get more time for everything else.
• Catch up on work, sleep, your favorite TV series, watch a movie, call friends/family, read a book, or even have your meals, all whilst commuting. And with everything available online these days, you can even do your shopping.
• No more losing your way, as these cars navigate through pre-programmed routes. All you need to do is select your destination, and you’re good to go.
• You can travel overnight, as there’s no fear of dozing off behind the wheel owing to exhaustion. You can snooze all through the journey and the car will get you to your destination, safe and sound.
• Talks are also on for 3D printing spare parts, so you needn’t have to wait around for parts when your car conks off. You can just have them printed. But we may need to wait a little bit longer for that.
• So there are Driverless Cars, which mean we don’t need to drive anymore. Would that mean no more Driver’s License or enduring the hassle of all those tests?
What with the advent of Robots, Wearable Computers, 3D Printers, and so much more, it was all a matter of time before Self-Driving Cars came into our lives. Now, all we need to do is sit back, relax, and wait for Flying Cars to come our way. Now, THAT would definitely put an end to our traffic woes.
Looking for an efficient Tablet that serves its purpose beautifully, without blowing a hole in your pocket? Then the Logicom S732 7” Tablet is the one for you.
Liven up your day with an MP3 Player. It’s tiny, it’s powerful, and its brilliant audio quality can easily carry you off into another world.